DIY Menu Board

May 05, 2017

I love to cook dinner for my husband and I. I have a killer meatball recipe that he loves and I make almost weekly - recipe coming soon! But by the time I get home after a full day of work and fighting the Milwaukee traffic, I'm so hungry that I just want to throw a frozen pizza in the oven and eat it 12-15 minutes later. Which is no fun! Because I do love to cook, I love to find new recipes and when I feel so uninspired to do something that I love, I get really sad! So I made this menu board because 1- It's adorable and it looks fabulous in my kitchen. And 2- I can finally meal plan for the week, grocery shop for everything and hold myself accountable for making dinner! Fun, right?



Here's what you'll need to make your own:
- Picture frame
- Scrapbook paper
- Letter stickers (if you have poor penmanship like I do)
- Whiteboard markers
- Scissors
- Tape
- Pencil
- Ruler



To start, remove the back from the frame. This will be the board you'll work on. Cover board in sheets of paper that you want as the base of your menu. Feel free to cut out fun patterns, shapes or keep it simple.



Then using the back of the photo that came in the frame, sketch out the sizes of the boxes that you want for each day of the week and the shopping list. (Full disclosure, I trimmed down all of the boxes after I cut them out so I don't know the exact measurements of those. Whoops! But I started with about 3" wide rectangles.)



Then cut out your days of the week pieces and the shopping list. I made them all standard rectangles but you may want to do fun shapes, or none at all!



Then tape them onto the board where you'd like them to go. The don't need to be glued flat because eventually this will go behind the glass in the frame. I used my ruler to make sure they all went on in a straight line.



Now we're getting to the good stuff! I love when I start to get to the final steps of a project and I can almost see the finished product. There are few things more satisfying than that! Now it's time to put the stickers on the board! I cut out each of the letters I wanted to use and just placed them where I thought they should go. Centering the "What's Cooking?" was the most difficult part. It's pretty time consuming but I really wanted them to be centered.



And we're just about there! All that's left is placing the board in the frame!



Now you're ready to meal plan and create your grocery list!

Have fun!

Love Lori

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts